At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Job title: Analyst
Position reports to: Shift Chemist
To accurately undertake all routine analysis of Smelter process control and optimization samples within agreed turnaround times so as to enable the Metallurgical team make informed decisions before making changes to process parameters.
- This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality and any other regulations as required by the company.
- Implementation and maintenance of the Laboratory quality system.
- Determination of all elements/compounds of interest as per the analysis schedule in samples from Copper Concentrate receiving area, Isasmelt, MSEF, PSC, Anode furnaces, Anode casting and Acid Plants as per laid down procedures.
- Operation of the X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) spectrometer, Leco Sulphur analyzer, Satmagan and bead making equipment.
- Conduct shift physical checks on all Laboratory equipment and gases availability and report back to the shift Chemist.
- Conduct fusion for all solid samples for XRF finish.
- Carry out any other task as assigned by the immediate superior
- Maintaining of Good House Keeping
- Upholding Safety
- Closely monitoring the usage of consumables (acids/reagents).
- Encouraging two way communications.
- Attending daily team toolbox meetings.
- Act in line with Company goals and values.
- be loyal to the Company.
- behave with integrity.
- show respect for others.
- work co-operatively.
- be open and honest.
- Feel free to express opinions and ideas.
- Minimum Qualification shall be advanced certificate in Laboratory Science or Assayer Certificate or diploma in Laboratory Science.
- A minimum of 2 years relevant experience in the Laboratory
- Bold Initiative
- Thinking Safety
- Upholding Quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving Quantity
- Driving Attendance
- Training in handling of chemicals
- Training in use of Laboratory instruments
- Shift work
- Training in analytical method/procedure application
- Training in basic computers
- Training in LIMS
To apply for this job please visit firstquantumcareers.com.