The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
The Fish for Food Security in Zambia Project (F4F) is part of GIZ’s Agriculture and Food Security (AgriFood) project cluster in Zambia. The aim of the F4F project is to improve access to sustainable fish products of people facing food insecurity by: increasing aquaculture production through training fish farmers for sustainable aquaculture production in Luapula; Training Dam committee members on sustainable fisheries management to balance between usage and conservation of fish stocks and water resources in Eastern Province; Training of trainers, such as extension service providers; and promoting knowledge exchange through the multi-stakeholder platform.
In this context, the project is seeking a suitable candidate for the following position:
Aquaculture Advisor – (based in Mansa)
REF: GIZ_ F4F _Aqua
As the Aquaculture Advisor, you will join a dynamic team and play a vital role in supporting the development and implementation of aquaculture extension, in ways that have maximum impact on both farmers and extension service providers from the public and private sector. You will also ensure that project activities and impacts are measured and reported on, and that project indicators are met. You will participate in planning and evidence-based decision making. You will maintain and expand a professional network and promote and participate in stakeholder dialogue. You will also assist with the conceptualization and development of project communication materials and represent the project towards the general public across various fora.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Conceptualizing and carrying out trainings to the target group of aquaculture farmers, fishery value chain actors, and related stakeholders.
- Drafting terms of reference for service providers to deliver services that support the project in meeting its objectives
- Oversee the tasks of service providers and ensure that tasks are carried out according to contractually agreed schedules and ensure a high standard of delivery is adhered to
- Ensure that data from field activities flows into the project’s monitoring and evaluation (M&E) system, as well as support service providers, colleagues and interns with data collection and handling
- Maintain and expand a professional network among aquaculture and fishery stakeholders, policymakers and support and promote stakeholder exchange
- Assist with presenting the project and it’s goals towards the general public at various national and international events.
- Support the project with the development of communication materials in the form of written, visual and other media, intended for various audiences.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree in fisheries and aquaculture, environmental education, other related and relevant biological and or anthropo-socio fields.
- A Master’s degree in fisheries and aquaculture, agricultural economics, rural development or related is an added advantage
- Certificate in Monitoring and Evaluation is an advantage
- Demonstrable experience of 3-5 years in field work in rural environments, including community outreach, data collection, joint-learning, trainings and data collection
- Demonstrable experience in having independently carried out a complex project assignment while holding key responsibilities for its successful implementation
- Demonstrable experience and skills in data collection and M&E
Other knowledge and additional competences
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Ability to thrive in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment
- Good working knowledge of ICT and computer applications (i.e., MS Office software package, telephone, email, internet, MS Teams etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with project staff and partners (including government departments) in Zambia.
- Strong analytical and data management skills, including experience with data analysis software.
- Proactive and results-oriented work ethi
- Team player with the ability to work with minimum supervision
- Must be highly adaptable, proactive, and able to work to tight deadlines
The successful candidate will be expected to start employment with GIZ, on a fixed term contract.
Application deadline: 10.09.2023
Please understand, that we can only accept and process applications via our e-recruiting system. Applications should meet the following criteria:
Cover letter quoting the reference: GIZ_ F4F_Aqua
Must be uploaded using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position. In the second paragraph, outline your experience in the position.
CVs must be submitted in PDF not exceeding three (3) pages. Do not indicate your marital status, religion, political affiliation or insert your photo.
Certificates, qualifications, etc. must not be attached to the application.
Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued – regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, social background or age.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability. People with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit www.giz-jobs.com.