First Quantum Minerals
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Vacant Job titles: Artisan Fitters
Site: Kansanshi Mining Plc
Department: Smelter Engineering
Sections: Mechanical Oxygen/Utilities & Secondary Smelting Sections
Position reports to: Mechanical Senior Supervisor
To diligently and safely carry out planned and breakdown repair maintenance on fixed smelter plant and machinery on either the Oxygen/utilities section or the Secondary smelting section.
Carry out Preventive and Corrective Maintenance on Smelter fixed plant and machinery. We are seeking qualified Artisan Fitters with practical maintenance experience on at least some of the following equipment:
- Large Centrifugal and gear pumps.
- Heavy duty compressors and blowers.
- Cummings diesel engines and generators sets.
- Jaw and cone crushers, screens and belt conveyors.
- Secondary smelt equipment including PS converters, anode furnaces and casting wheels.
- Cooling towers.
- Raw, potable and demineralized water plants.
- A variety of valve overhauls and replacement.
- Hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
- Minimum of a Grade 12.
- Craft Certificate or equivalent in Mechanical Fitting
- Ideally already First Aid trained
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the maintenance of Smelter Utilities section related fixed equipment (Oxygen Plants, Cooling Towers, Heavy Duty Compressors, Blowers, Diesel Engines, Pumps, Crushers, Screens, Valves and Conveyor Belts)
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the maintenance of Secondary Smelting fixed equipment (Converters, Anode furnaces, Punch cars, Pumps, overhead Cranes, Valves, Conveyor Belts and Cooling towers)
- Planned maintenance proven experience on fixed plant
- Belt splicing
- Ideally already a member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia (EIZ)
- Basic rigging
- Good teamwork- working with operations and maintenance teams
- Bold, Smart and Driven
- Thinking Safety First
- Upholding Quality
- Good Technical Skills
- Driving Quantity
- Driving Attendance and good Time Keeping
- Good tool care and storage
- Prepared to raise concerns and come forward with improvement ideas
- Standby work
- Overtime when necessary
- Exposure to dust, heat, and noise
- Working at height
- Ideally having some personal computer literacy