Position title: Liuwa Camp – Assistant Camp manager
Location: Liuwa Plain National Park, Zambia
Starting date: 1 Oct 2023
Duration : Initial 1 Year Contract
Liuwa Camp will be a newly built camp in Liuwa Plain National Park. Zambia and will be managed by the non-profit organization African Parks, on a long-term basis, to protect its wildlife and uplift the surrounding local communities for the ecological, financial and social sustainability of the park. Under African Parks’ management since 2003, Liuwa Plain has one of the oldest conservation histories in Africa, dating back to the 19th century when the King of Barotseland, Lubosi Lewanika, appointed his people as custodians of the landscape. However, by the early 2000s, decades of unsustainable land use, poaching, and human-wildlife conflict resulted in a steep decline of wildebeest and zebra; the grasslands were threatened by agriculture, and just one lioness remained. In 2003, African Parks was invited by the Department of National Parks and Wildlife (DNPW) and the Barotse Royal Establishment to join them in helping ensure the King’s legacy. In 2008, African Parks began a series of lion reintroductions, followed by eland and buffalo to provide a healthy prey base for the growing predator populations. As a result of effective law enforcement, poaching levels subsided and community land use plans were implemented, along with sustainable fish harvesting and other community projects, providing alternative livelihoods for local people. Today, the park hosts the second-largest wildebeest migration in Africa, serves as a stronghold for hyaena, cheetah, lions and wild dogs, and is designated as an Important Bird Area. Liuwa Plain is the largest employer in the region and provides critical educational and health benefits to its approximately 12,000 community members – demonstrating a unique synergy between people and wildlife.
The camp would be designed on an seven-unit concept with main area tent and back of house kitchen, storage and staff accommodation.
6 single units en suite
1 Family unit en suite
It will be a total of 16 adult beds . The camp will be semi permanent and employ within budget, the latest technology in light touch infrastructure, power, refrigeration and alternative energy where possible. This camp will be designed to be installed in 3 months.
Role and Responsibilities:
The role and responsibilities are wide and varying due to the location and environment. They include but are not limited to the following:
- To assist the camp Manager in ensuring that the camp systems, services, facilities, activities and Team, work together in a smooth, safe and harmonious manner to ensure that guests have a memorable stay .
- To Welcome guests and help with camp orientation on arrival and to send off & welcome guests from the day’s activities.
- Hosting guests while managing a balance between guest privacy and space.
- Managing and resolving guest complaints/concerns
- Ensuring systems are in place for the security & safety of guests -Scout escort around camp during the night.
- Inspection of guest tents, main area, public area & grounds for cleanliness and appearance.
- Putting controls & stock take of camp consumables & equipment with the use of appropriate systems to ensure there is no wastage and pilferage.
- Ensuring environmental responsibility for the operation of Liuwa Camp in line with conservation guidelines, this includes firewood collection & usage, Eco friendly disposal of waste, respect for surrounding wild life, plants & the eco system as a whole.
- Overseeing camp maintenance, main stores purchases & ensuring all vehicles are in working order.
- Management of all team members and overseeing duties assigned to them while ensuring safety & compliance with laid down rules.
4. Reporting Lines
a. Operational execution and Logistics: 1. Camp Manager
2. Commercial Development Manage
A comfortable but basic tented accommodation will be provided.
- Practical, adaptable, enthusiastic and independent manager with luxury camp and F&B management experience
- At least 5 years experience living and operating in remote safari locations
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Strong initiative and creativity
- Team player who share ideas and learning with others
- Professional with a sense of fun
- Excellent ability to build and manage relationships with a wide variety of people and culture.
- Computer literate
- Fluent in English and Lozi
1. Camp Manager of Liuwa Camp
2. Commercial Development Manager
3. Park Management Team in Liuwa Plain National Park
This is a unique opportunity to be part of the leading conservation organization in Africa. Liuwa Camp will be a flag ship product of African Parks. The aim is that we can drive much needed revenue for the park operations and ultimately significant funding can be raised to help drive conservation at scale in Africa.
Method of Application
If interested please send your CV and a covering letter to:
Namasiku Mutukwa- email@example.com – Camp manager
Closing date: 25 Aug 2023