International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. For more information, please visit http://www.iita.org/. IITA is seeking to employ the services of fully qualified and experienced Zambian nationals to fill up the following positions based in Lusaka.
ASSISTANT LEG4DEV PROJECT ADMINISTRATOR
I. JOB SUMMARY:
The Assistant LEG4DEV Project Administrator will be responsible for supporting the research activities of all IITA research disciplines or units, National University of Ireland Galway, and local Universities and other partners in respect of activities related to finance, administrative and logistic support and ensures efficient communication and coordination of activities within the LEG4DEV Project.
II. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Workflow Management:
- Devise and maintain office systems to deal efficiently with email or paper flow (travel authorization, expense claims, vehicle requisition forms, etc); organize and archive paperwork, documents, and computer-based information; These include the management of the filing and retrieval system.
- Track and follow up on incoming and outgoing email correspondence.
- Supporting and expediting the procurement of research consumables, services and supports necessary for implementation of all LEG4DEV research activities.
- Distribute Information from the Project Coordinator’s office to project staff and maintain a follow up system as required.
- Coordinate preparation of meeting documents, briefing papers, reports, spreadsheets, and presentations.
- Acts as secretary at meetings- Drafts the minutes of the meetings; establishes a reporting system on all decisions taken during the meetings for follow up on implementation of outstanding decisions.
- Processes the schedule of meetings within the project, organizes consultations and bilateral meetings with the project staff and other stakeholders.
3. Administration and finance:
- Assists in and advises the Project Coordinator and scientists, students, and other partners on a variety of administrative matters.
- Establishes stock control system for the management of office supplies and other project properties (Personal computers, printers, mobile phones…); centralizes requests for office supplies submitted by project staff within and outside IITA.
- Maintains and updates an inventory of all equipment and resources procured by the LEG4DEV research project.
- Advises on the allocation of support staff to meet priorities, workload, and timeliness. Arrange travel, and accommodation for staff/students going on field work.
- Initiate and prepare various administrative documents and forms, such as training programs. field days, partner visits, seminars, etc
- Handles internal and general public enquiries; welcome and look after visitors and connect to the appropriate project staff; organize and maintain electronic diaries and make appointments.
- Maintains confidential records and filing of reports, correspondence and related material for ease of referral.
- Compiling quarterly budgets and financial reports for submission in collaboration with project accountant at UIG
- Monitoring student expenditure and expense claim forms
III. SUPERVISION RECEIVED:
This position reports to IITA Project Coordinator and in liaison with the LEG4DEV Project Manager.
IV. QUALIFICATION AND CORE COMPETENCIES
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree, in Public Administration, ACCA or related discipline
- Preferably a minimum of five (5) years of progressively relevant and practical experience • Excellent organizational, and communication skills.
- Able to work under pressure in the dynamic setting of an international and multicultural setting.
- Handling speedily and efficiently internal and external requests.
- Ability to work and cooperate with others from diverse background.
- Knowledge of administration duties.
- Excellent written and verbal communications in English.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
General information: The contract will be for an initial period of two (2) years. Renewal is dependent on performance and availability of funds.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested applicants should forward their detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter indicating the position and send as One Document by email to IITA-Zambia@cgiar.org not later than 1st December 2023 to:
The Regional Hub Administrator
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture
Plot 145B Ngwerere Road
Chongwe District Lusaka Province
P.O. Box 310142
Chelstone, Lusaka, Zambia
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
IITA is a member of the CGIAR CGIAR Consortium
To apply for this job email your details to IITA-Zambia@cgiar.org