Chengelo School is a Christian, International, boarding school with a vision to provide the best quality education to produce future generations of leaders for Zambia and beyond. Located in a beautiful setting in rural Zambia the school comprises both Primary and Secondary sections as well as an Outdoor Education Centre.
After a period of significant growth, we are seeking dedicated educators to join the leadership team to drive the school forward into its next phase.
POSITION AVAILABLE: Chaplain
The Chaplain is a key pastoral figure in the school in promoting Christian values and leading the spiritual development of students and staff in line with the Chengelo vision and ethos. The role of the Chaplain is to oversee and lead on matters related to the spiritual health of the Primary and Secondary school and actively seek to create new ways of enriching the School’s Christian life in response to the needs of the community.
Education and Training:
- A bachelor’s degree in theology, pastoral counseling, or a related field.
- Completion of formal training or certification in pastoral care, counseling, or chaplaincy
- Previous experience in pastoral care, counseling, or chaplaincy roles is highly desirable.
- Experience working with children, adolescents, and families in an educational or community setting is advantageous.
- Familiarity with the specific challenges and needs of students within the school’s demographic is beneficial.
Pastoral and Counseling Skills:
- Proficiency in providing emotional support, spiritual guidance, and counseling to students, staff, and families.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including active listening, empathy, and the ability to establish trust and rapport.
- Knowledge of various counseling techniques, crisis intervention strategies, and conflict resolution approaches.
Ethical and Professional Standards:
- Demonstrated commitment to upholding ethical standards and maintaining confidentiality in all interactions.
- Awareness of and respect for diversity, inclusivity, and cultural sensitivity in working with individuals from different backgrounds and beliefs.
- Adherence to professional codes of conduct and the ability to navigate complex ethical dilemmas.
Collaboration and Teamwork:
- Ability to work collaboratively with school administrators, teachers, support staff, and external community resources.
- Willingness to participate in multidisciplinary teams, school committees, and student support networks.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills to foster positive relationships and engage in constructive dialogue.
Flexibility and Adaptability:
- Openness to working in a school environment where the students may have diverse religious beliefs or no religious affiliation.Flexibility to accommodate the needs of students and staff, including availability for events, programs, and crisis situations.
Continuous Professional Development:
- Willingness to engage in ongoing professional development, including attending relevant workshops, conferences, and training programs.
- Commitment to keep up to date with current trends, research, and best practices in chaplaincy, pastoral care, and counseling.
The successful candidate will have a passion for Christian education, a commitment to excellence, and a strong understanding of the challenges and opportunities in African schools. They will play a critical role in shaping the future of our school and will be part of a dynamic and supportive team.
Chengelo School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All posts are subject to satisfactory teacher registration check, police check, referee checks, identification verification and the requirement to disclose any information relevant to the candidate’s eligibility to engage in activities involving young people.
Method of Application
For further details including the job description and an application form please visit our website: www.chengeloschool.org/work-with-us/
To apply for this job please visit www.chengeloschool.org.