Sightsavers implements projects in over 30 countries in Africa and South Asia working to eliminate avoidable blindness and promote the rights of people with disabilities. Sightsavers Zambia is looking for an experienced and reliable Driver who has driven for and represented an NGO or similar, to support the Zambia Country Office.
Title: Country Officer Driver
Location: Zambia Country Office, Lusaka
Contract: 1 year fixed term contract (renewable)
Hours: Standard office hours with some weekends and overnight travel.
Salary: Local Terms and Conditions apply
We are looking for an experienced Driver to provide reliable and safe driving services to staff and partners as well as transporting goods and assist with transport related logistics. As Country Office Driver, you will also be responsible to oversee that vehicles are maintained in a cost-effective manner by ensuring routine and preventive maintenance as well as perform clerical duties in support of the efficient running of the office.
You will have extensive experience within a similar position for an NGO/INGO or Government organisation where you have driven long distances and demonstrate excellent defensive driving and basic mechanical skills. You will be available for some weekend and evening work as well as able and available to travel out of province for multiple days (approximately 10 days a month).
This is a highly varied and involved role and the above is not an exhaustive list of duties or required professional skills. Please see here for the Job Description for full details.
Due to the safeguarding element of this role, the successful applicant may undergo a criminal background check as well as an eye test and driving test.
Skills and Experience
The Country Office Driver will be experienced in a similar role within a similar organisation. You will be organised, methodical and an excellent communicator.
- A valid Class C driving certification and clean driving record held for at least two years (for insurance purposes)
- Ability to demonstrate safe driving practices
- Excellent defensive driving skills (in town and dirt roads)
- Previous professional driving experience in a similar role for a similar organisation
- Grade 12 Certificate (with 5 pass) or equivalent experience
- Physically able to reach, stretch, bend, and sit for long periods of time during daily routine
- Available to drive for long periods of time and to work at short notice and during unsociable hours as well as over-night stays
- Experience of working with government partners and ministries
- Interpersonal, communication skills
- Able to work well alone
- Reliable and punctual with dedicated professionalism to job and duties
- Able to adapt to changing schedules or routines, organised and able to follow a schedule
- Excellent time management skills
- Able to assist staff/passengers when needed
- Focused on customer service
- A commitment to disability inclusion and diversity
Closing date: 5 February 2024
We anticipate that interviews will take place towards the end of February and will include an in-person interview in Lusaka and a practical driving test. Please note that Sightsavers are unable to cover any accommodation or transports costs over the interview process.
To apply for this exciting new opportunity, please complete an application via our recruitment portal.
As a global equal opportunities employer, Sightsavers is committed to embracing diversity throughout our workforce by creating an inclusive environment that reflects the many cultures and locations where we work. Our workforce will be truly representative of all sections of society and we will actively promote the inclusion of individuals with a disability. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.
Sightsavers is an employer that does not tolerate any form of harassment and has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. All potential candidates will be subjected to rigorous background checks and controls.
To apply for this job please visit careers-sightsavers.icims.com.