FIELD EXTENSION OFFICER – FOREST REGENERATION PARTNERSHIP
(Natural Regeneration and Rural Livelihoods Project)
At Rusco Holdings we pride ourselves on recognizing opportunities that have the potential to substantially impact Zambia’s socio-economic development. At our core we are passionate about safeguarding the natural environment for the next generation and are committed to supporting enterprises that help communities find sustainable solutions to some of Zambia’s biggest issues. As an internationally accredited carbon offset cookstove manufacturer, working in some of the most impoverished rural communities, we are pro-actively addressing climate change, deforestation, and public health issues. We operate several other community initiatives with activities that complement sustainable land use, alternative income generation and social upliftment.
Our latest project Forest Regeneration Partnership (FRP) is a collaboration with C-Quest Capital (CQC) to promote the natural regeneration of Zambia’s forests and secure climate resilience for the next generation.
- Forest applies not just to the trees but to all the environmental and community dependencies associated with agro-forestry and sustainable land management.
- Regeneration refers to that of the trees/natural environment, and the people whose livelihoods depend on it (and their childrens).
- Partnership validates the Rusco mission, connecting 3 points: investment (CQC), market (Rusco) and community/project recipients (Mukuni Chiefdom)
The Field Extension Officer will perform duties related to the implementation of the agriculture and natural resource management planned interventions. Services will be conducted under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator.
The Field Extension Officer will have extensive experience working in a similar role in rural community environments. They will have excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, along with a deep understanding of the cultural context and complexities involved with implementing such initiatives, while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and control.
The work is within communities around Livingstone and Kazungula Districts, with travel to field locations within Southern Province and outside of these areas expected.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- To enhance community – project relationship through constant community mobilization, identification of participants, information update, and staff physical presence.
- Demonstration best-practice of project interventions for Assisted Natural Regeneration and other on-farm practices that the project is promoting.
- Enhance the Farmer-to-Farmer extension by training, supervising, backstopping and advising user groups in group development, business skills, monitoring activities, Assisted Natural Regeneration and Conservation Agriculture.
- To facilitate equitable participation of youth, men and women in all activities of the program – in particular in marketing and decision-making processes
- Preparation of weekly work plans, reports and quality checks of collected and provided data.
- Collect and organize M&E data as directed by the Program Manager and Project Coordinator. This includes data related to training, demo-site operations and management, field results, carbon project-related surveys; problems, benefits, recommendations and targets for input into quarterly and other reports; support external consultants in monitoring activities.
- To carry out any other duties as required by management for the successful implementation of the project and to act with honesty and integrity at all times.
Community Forest Management Groups (CFMG)
- To sensitize, mobilize and organize the community members into manageable groups through the establishment of different user groups within the CFMG.
- To train farmers and user group representatives on organizational development, group dynamics, record keeping, work planning, Assisted Natural Regeneration, Conservation Agriculture, effective activity implementation and monitoring of their user group and CFMG in collaboration with the CFMG executive members.
- To prepare and implement training plans based on the training needs and progress of user Groups in collaboration with line ministries.
- To facilitate user groups regular meetings
- To facilitate user groups leaders monthly / quarterly meetings at CFMG level in order to ensure the effectiveness of CFMG progress and transparency
- To Facilitate the establishment of codes of conduct at user group and CFMG level and ensure its implementation
- To cooperate closely with the CFMG on marketing activities
- To adopt approaches and methodologies that are gender sensitive and promote gender equality; mainstreaming gender equality in user group / CFMG code of conduct, policies and procedure and all communications with partners and stakeholders including all line ministries.
- To train, follow up, backstop and coach CFMG and User members.
- As an advisor to the CFMG, you will be required to assist them in planning, budgeting, operations management, problem solving, etc.; The field officer does not take decisions or act on behalf of the CFMG; but assist them in making and implementing their own decisions.
Farmer Field Schools
- To facilitate site selection of demonstration plots for FFS
- To facilitate the establishment of Tephrosia FFS in collaboration with user group members; management of demo plots; identification and selection of Lead Farmers; leading Farmer Field Days.
- Facilitate establishment of market gardens
- Collect precise information / data i.e., production, unit farm gate prices, active participants, etc. for the market gardens
- Certificate in agriculture, forestry or any other related disciplines. Diploma is added advantage.
- Tonga/Toka Leya speaker is a must
- Able to ride a motorbike in rough terrain
- Experience in working with rural communities
- Experience with data collection, using equipment like smartphones, tablets or laptops
K7,500 GROSS + 25% Gratuity after successfully completing 1 year’s contract
Method of Application
Please email your CV and one-page cover letter to email@example.com before the 31st of January
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org