Tropical Health and Education Trust (THET).
Overall Purpose of the Job:
Responsible for leading on all aspects of office operations and financial administration for THET Zambia.
- Maintaining the financial integrity of the THET operations and ensuring full compliance with policies & procedures, particularly around cash, advances, banking and assets.
- Being the primary source of expertise for THET staff, on financial best practice, and control and compliance issues.
- Managing THET- Zambia’s financial transactions for all Zambia programmes.
- Safeguarding the assets of THET- Zambia, including the maintenance of the fixed asset register.
- Lead on the development of a vendor list for goods and services for the period 2024 to 2026.
- Overseeing local procurement, ensuring cost analysis and purchase orders are well prepared.
- Undertaking audits and spot checks at different project field sites as appropriate.
- Localising the THET Global Finance manual for Zambia.
Financial & Management Accounting
- Accurate recording of all income and expenditure and maintaining all Zambia financial systems.
- Monthly reporting to the Country Director and UK finance team providing fully reconciled reports detailing income, expenditure and cash and bank reconciliations.
- Provision of monthly actual versus budget analysis and other management information that may be required from time to time, to Country Director.
- Preparing cash forecasts to identify monthly funding requirements.
- Budgeting and forecasting for all THET Zambia projects.
- Communicate the financial status of projects to relevant staff in country using financial reports.
- Ensuring full compliance with Zambia laws, regulations and all statutory obligations.
- Ensuring compliance with all government rules and regulations for Zambia.
- Advising Country Director, and others as appropriate on financial and legislative changes that may affect Zambia- THET operations
- Ensuring compliance with all financial reporting and forecasting requirements of donors and others, and ensuring the smooth flow of funds from donors.
- Being the main point of contact on financial and administrative matters with in-country donor organizations, and building good working relationships with donor finance officers.
- Ensuring that expenditure is incurred and reported in line with donor agreements.
- Providing financial guidance to senior management and all project staff.
Ensuring effective use of personnel and resources.
Management, Training & Capacity Building
- Training and developing other finance and project staff on policies, procedures and other finance issues as appropriate.
- Supervising and providing line management for other administrative, logistics and finance staff employed by THET- Zambia as required.
Administration and Human Resource
- Processing of payroll for all staff in Zambia and compliance with in-country tax legislation.
- Coordinate general office operations: procurements, office establishment and maintenance.
- Tracking existing or new vendor agreements and/or leases as appropriate for operations
- Stay upto date with relevant laws in Zambia and contribute to plans that enable the organization to stay compliant. This includes laws related to taxation, labor, NGO laws etc
- File management (HR, Accounting, Consultant Contracts, Lease/Vendor Agreements)
- Assist with coordination of recruitment and on boarding activities for Zambia as necessary.
- Undertaking other duties that the Country Director or the THET Head office might request.
Required knowledge, skills and experience
· Grade 12 Certificate with five (5) ‘O’ with credit or better in Mathematics and English.
· Partial or Full Professional Accountancy qualification such as ACCA, CIMA or equivalent.
· Registered with Zambia Institute of Certified Accountants (ZICA) and in possession of valid practicing certificate.
- At least 3-5 years working experience within a recognised NGO or INGO.
- Experience of working with and reporting to international donors.
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels within the organisation.
- Excellent IT skills with experience of operating computer-based financial management systems.
- Strong team player; able to explain financial responsibilities to team members,
- An eye for detail and a concern for accuracy.
- Ability to be a self-starter and to think and act ‘outside the box’.
Method of Application
To apply for this role, please send your CV with three references (one of whom should be your current supervisor) and cover letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submitting applications is 21st November 2023, close of business. The subject of your application email should be ‘THET Zambia Office-Finance and Operations Officer-Application- YourFirstLastnames‘. Any solicitations for the role physically or by phone is not acceptable. Due to the volume of applications, if you do not hear from us by 21st December 2023, please consider your application unsuccessful..