Position title: Liuwa Camp – General/Maintenance/Driver
Location: Liuwa Plain National Park, Zambia
Starting date: 1 Oct 2023
Duration : Initial 1 Year Contract
Liuwa Camp will be a newly built camp in Liuwa Plain National Park. Zambia and will be managed by the non-profit organization African Parks, on a long-term basis, to protect its wildlife and uplift the surrounding local communities for the ecological, financial and social sustainability of the park. Under African Parks’ management since 2003, Liuwa Plain has one of the oldest conservation histories in Africa, dating back to the 19th century when the King of Barotseland, Lubosi Lewanika, appointed his people as custodians of the landscape. However, by the early 2000s, decades of unsustainable land use, poaching, and human-wildlife conflict resulted in a steep decline of wildebeest and zebra; the grasslands were threatened by agriculture, and just one lioness remained. In 2003, African Parks was invited by the Department of National Parks and Wildlife (DNPW) and the Barotse Royal Establishment to join them in helping ensure the King’s legacy. In 2008, African Parks began a series of lion reintroductions, followed by eland and buffalo to provide a healthy prey base for the growing predator populations. As a result of effective law enforcement, poaching levels subsided and community land use plans were implemented, along with sustainable fish harvesting and other community projects, providing alternative livelihoods for local people. Today, the park hosts the second-largest wildebeest migration in Africa, serves as a stronghold for hyaena, cheetah, lions and wild dogs, and is designated as an Important Bird Area. Liuwa Plain is the largest employer in the region and provides critical educational and health benefits to its approximately 12,000 community members – demonstrating a unique synergy between people and wildlife.
The camp would be designed on an seven-unit concept with main area tent and back of house kitchen, storage and staff accommodation.
6 single units en suite
1 Family unit en suite
It will be a total of 16 adult beds. The camp will be semi permanent and employ within budget, the latest technology in light touch infrastructure, power, refrigeration and alternative energy where possible. This camp will be designed to be installed in 3 months.
Role and Responsibilities:
The role and responsibilities are wide and varying due to the location and environment. They include but are not limited to the following:
- Inspect, maintain and clean Guests Game drive vehicles to ensure they are in good working order
- Report all mechanical faults to management
- Prepare schedules for vehicle servicing
- Prepare mileage and fuel usage reports
- Out of camp activities – Driving to guests surprise special bush activities and helping with the set ups
- Transporting purchases from Mongu
- Staff run to and from camp
- You shall keep a weekly maintenance record to ensure all guests tents are in working order i.e. Taps, geysers, showers, toilets etc.
- Performing all general repairs in camp
- Installing appliances and equipment
- Maintaining records of all machinery and equipment received and issued
- Firewood collections
- Garbage disposal in Kalabo
- Your duties may differ from time to time or be reasonably modified as necessary to meet the needs of the company. These will be delegated from time to time and will be formally communicated to you.
4. Reporting Lines
a. Operational execution and Logistics:
1. Camp Manager
2. Assistant Manager
A comfortable but basic tented accommodation will be provided.
- Must have a clean driving record & valid driver’s license
- Basic vehicle maintenance knowledge
- Be safety conscious, responsible, reliable and trust worthy
- Must be able to drive through the sandy terrain
- Basic technical experience in plumbing and electricals
- Reliable communication skills
- Must have problem solving skills
- Must be physically fit
1. Camp Manager of Liuwa Camp
2. Assistant Camp Manager Liuwa Camp
3. Commercial Development manager
4. Park Management Team in Liuwa Plain National Park
This is a unique opportunity to be part of the leading conservation organization in Africa. Liuwa Camp will be a flag ship product of African Parks. The aim is that we can drive much needed revenue for the park operations and ultimately significant funding can be raised to help drive conservation at scale in Africa.
Method of Application
If interested please send your CV and a covering letter to:
Namasiku Mutukwa- email@example.com – Camp manager
Closing date: 25 Aug 2023