Responsibilities & scope of the role
- Assisting with the daily testing of concrete specimens to the relevant British & International Standards to high standards of safety, quality, and efficiency within agreed timescales
- Keeping accurate and legible records of all works undertaken- Soft Skills important.
- Ensuring that test equipment used is checked, cleaned and maintained.
- Processing test specimens through the laboratory and ensuring all samples are marked and stored correctly.
- Assisting with laboratory maintenance and general housekeeping
- Raise purchase order all required materials for lab
- Keep calibration certificates
- Bring samples and do testing on materials, interpolate with standard. In the event of issues raise concerns to Management well in advance to take action. Reject materials unfit right away
Site duties include:
- Communication with the Clients Site Engineer/Manager
- Collection and transportation of test specimens from Client sites
- On site testing including making Cement , aggregates ,concrete cubes from fresh concrete, carrying out slump and flow tests
- Keeping accurate and legible records of all works carried out.
- Maintaining communication with the Head of Department , forwarding site paperwork for data-entry each working day
- Experience in batching plant checking and quality control lab.
Experience in concrete testing and valid certificate and experience letter.
- Experience of working within the Construction industry mandatory
- Experience of working within a International accredited laboratory would be advantageous
- Skills Good Numerical and Mathematical understanding
- Be organised and able to work to deadlines
- Ability to remain calm under pressure, while maintaining professionalism. Good communication skills Maintain concentration and have a keen eye for detail Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently
- Must be willing to learn and adapt to operational needs without time constraints.
- Be fully conversant with the health, safety and welfare systems in the workplace including the identification of hazards, assess risks, comply with statutory requirements and encourage a good culture of H, S, E & Q.
- Responsible for planning and preparation of accurate, resourced and achievable work schedules
- Understand, integrate and evaluate client specifications and requirements Identify risk to delivery of work and make necessary changes to mitigate the risk
- Be the first point of contact with staff and customers as necessary for the scheduling of works
- Manage customer expectations and handle any queries
- Produce reports and test certificates for work completed
- Use IT systems to obtain, understand, evaluate and use project information
- Demonstrate continuing commitment to personal and professional development
- Control the workspace to ensure work is carried out safely, effectively and to the correct quality standards
- Monitor and control the works and understand how to report and implement corrective actions where required
- Prepare and conduct appropriate tests, collate, check and verify information meets the agreed standards and requirements
- Be responsible for the preparation of Method Statements and Risk Assessments, programmes and monitor progress and deal with variations
- Prepare material requisitions, monitor supply and maintain records
- Check completed work by self and others is in accordance with ITP’
- Obtain & confirm the information needed to take critical decisions
- A minimum of a diploma or degree in Civil Engineering, Laboratory Testing Certificate or equivalent, Construction or field related
- Technologist or Technician Member of EIZ
- 2-3 years of industry working experience preferably in the building construction sector
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English Language
- Ability to ready maps, interpret engineering and construction plans
The successful candidate will alternately provide support to the Laboratory, and also carry out site-based duties.