The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
The GIZ Decentralisation for Development programme designed to promote transparent and efficient local governance in Zambia aims at 1) supporting further conceptualisation and implementation of decentralization, 2) strengthening the capacities of local governments in development processes, 3) improving citizen participation in local development processes, (4) improving local public service delivery and (5) enhancing offers for capacity building in local governance.
The programme partners at the national level with the Decentralisation Secretariat, the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development, the Local Government Association of Zambia, the Chalimbana Local Government Training Institute, and at the local level with the local governments in Southern and Luapula Provinces
In this context, the project is seeking a suitable candidate to fill the following position:
Local Planning and Investment Management Advisor – (based in Choma)
REF: GIZ_ D4D _LPIMA
As an Advisor for Local Planning and Investment Management, you will play a vital role in implementation of investment decisions by Local Authorities using Integrated Development Plans in Southern Province. Your responsibility will include working with the office of the Provincial Local Government Officer, the Department of Physical Planning and Housing, all local authorities (with their newly devolved functions) in the province to ensure a coordinated approach in implementation of projects in the districts.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Support the Local Authorities with the development of investment strategy/plan to ensure coherence, sustainability and an organised approach to community, public and private sector investments in the districts
- Strengthen the planning and management capacities of local authorities to align investment decisions to sustainable long term revenue benefits
- Support the Provincial Planning Authority in providing oversight to the implementation of integrated development plans in the province
- In collaboration with the Local Government Finance Advisor identify gaps and needs for better budget and expenditure planning
- In collaboration with the Local Government Finance Advisor advise LAs on harmonization of local budget with CDF and IDP projects
- Support the Local Authorities in the development and integration of a mechanism for the appraisal of community projects for funding through the local budget (CDF, OSR, LGEF)
- Identify knowledge gaps and advise on needs-based training measures and their systemic integration in the local government structure (beyond individual trainings without sustainable inclusion).
- Where appropriate and reasonable perform any other duties
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Business Management and Administration, Finance or Project Management)
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Development Studies, Geography, will be an added advantage
- More than 5 years of work experience in the public or private sector
- Experience in investment planning and management
- Must be familiar with public investment strategic planning, project appraisal and selection, medium term and annual budgeting for public investment as well as the full Public Investment Management Cycle.
- Must have experience in strategic planning or integrated development planning process at the district level
- Knowledge of Zambia’s local government system
- Experience working in an international organisation will be an added advantage
Other knowledge and additional competences
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Strong analytical, advisory and strategic skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, especially when collaborating with a broad range of stakeholders
- Fluency in English, with excellent writing skills
- Excellent IT skills (e.g., MS Office, online research, etc.)
- Must be a team player and is expected to work well in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment
Application deadline: 26 November 2023
Please understand that we can only accept and process applications via our E-recruiting system . Applications should meet the following criteria:
- Cover letter quoting the reference: GIZ_ D4D _LPIMA must be uploaded using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position. In the second paragraph, outline your experience in the position.
- CVs must be submitted in PDF not exceeding three (3) pages. Do not indicate your marital status, religion, political affiliation or insert your photo.
- Certificates, qualifications, etc. must not be attached to the application.
- Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued – regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, social background or age.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability. People with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit www.giz-jobs.com.