IOM VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Open to Internal/External Candidates
Position Title: Medical Assistant
Duty Station: Lusaka, Zambia
Type of Appointment: SST (Three (3) months with a possibility of Extension)
Estimated Start Date: 01 October 2023
Closing Date: 10 September 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and nongovernmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the National Migration Health Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for the carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in LUSAKA, ZAMBIA:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The Medical Assistant provides information, relevant to Health Assessment Programs, Applicant processing and other IOM services to the migrants.
He/she may be assigned to one of two potential sub-units within the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC): the reception and data processing unit or the call centre. The incumbent will need to be capable of flexibility when assigned different tasks. Below is a description of the possible tasks, which are more detailed in the duty lists and standard operating procedures (SOPS).
Call Centre overall duties:
1. Provide migrants’ information regarding health assessments by phone;
2. Register the migrants in the IOM database, schedule and confirm medical appointments and receive and communicate messages for medical staff and beneficiaries;
3. Prepare master lists of migrants scheduled for health assessment processing and submit them to respective service providers / relevant persons as required;
4. Maintain daily statistics related to health assessments and update the records; and,
5. Contribute to customer satisfaction evaluation management.
Reception and Data Entry overall duties:
6. Perform all the necessary data processing activities of the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC), such as:
a. receiving and explaining the registration process to applicants;
b. checking applicant’s identity;
c. entering bio-data of the applicants in the appropriate platform;
d. taking photos using webcam and loading the image to the appropriate platform; and,
e. printing of medical forms, consent forms and other necessary documents.
7. Receive all completed medical examination forms, x-rays and other documents from Country Offices or Panel Physicians while updating the reception of the same in the database and forward for quality check before clearance, if applicable;
8. Prepare, sort and package medical files and other documents during mobile migration health assessment missions where such mobile units are available;
9. Transmit completed medical forms, DNA packages and other medical documents either by electronic means or by courier services to the various partners. Ensure correct contacts and physical address are used whenever documents are transmitted by courier services and ensure to inform the receiving party of the parcel tracking number electronically;
10. File incoming/outgoing letters, reports, memoranda, emails faxes as well as IOM documents and forms related to IOM medical issues;
11. Check, print and make photocopy of bank deposit slips (or other proof of payment). Regularly submit these photocopies to the Administrative/Finance Assistant; and,
12. In co-ordination with the RMO, participate in budget and expenditures monitoring, monthly and annual financial reporting. Collect relevant statistics and provide financial analysis, in coordination with the MHAC supervisor.
13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree with at least two years of relevant working experience; or,
- Secondary School Diploma with at least four years of relevant working experience.
- Certificate in IT/Data entry is an advantage.
- Experience in computer data entry, elaboration and analysis or in a call centre in a busy institution, preferably a medical one;
- Typing speed of at least 60 words per minute;
- High computer literacy in Windows and MS Office is mandatory, knowledge of web page design would be an asset;
- Knowledge of medical terminology, as well as previous secretarial and archival experience, an added advantage; and,
- Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations is an added advantage.
Languages: Fluency in English (oral and written) and working knowledge of local languages spoken in the duty station. French and Swahili will be an added advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
VALUES – All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
CORE COMPETENCIES – Behavioural indicators
Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy Announcement is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Competencies and respective levels should be drawn from the Competency Framework of the Organization.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should submit their electronic applications (Motivation letter and CV only) addressed to Resource Management Officer (RMO), IOM Lusaka using Recruitment email address: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 10th September 2023. Remember to quote the Vacancy No. SVN/2023/013 – IOM-ZM and position title: Medical Assistant in the subject line or your application will NOT be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: From 28.08.2023 to 10.09.2023