Hivos Southern Africa
Hivos is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Program Officer – Capacity Building (SRHR Fund).
In this position you will undertake activities primarily focused on strengthening the organizational and technical capacity of the Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) grant partners in fields such as governance, administration, financial management, strategic advocacy, constituency building and monitoring and evaluation.
With support from the Program Manager the Program Officer – Capacity Building will design and provide a comprehensive package of capacity development activities that support the technical and institutional development of partners on this project. Other activities include the provision of coaching and mentorship to emergent Civil Society Organization (CSO) leaders, and other forms of training and technical assistance.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
Manage the capacity building portfolio (35%)
- Deliver all capacity development-related activities for partner CSOs and their networks in diverse areas of organizational development
- Delivery of individualized technical assistance and capacity building to grant partners in identified areas of need
- Work closely with selected local partners to ensure adequate capacity is built in various areas of the program
- Program monitoring, evaluating, and reporting and ensuring rapid roll-out of capacity building related activities at regional and country levels
Strategic grant making in accordance with key components of the portfolio (25%)
- Receive proposals and undertake assessments in line with the ‘call for proposals’
- On grant approval ensure all project information and documents are completed in All Solutions and contracts are generated and signed
- Monitor performance of SRHR sub-grants and make recommendations regarding scale-up potential
- Ensure that projects receiving support provide reports in accordance with contracts and the format provided
- Liaise and communicate with grantees
Resource mobilization and fundraising (15%)
- Identify and track emerging opportunities through the program funding strategy and program development plan
- Contribute to design and development of project proposals
Building relationships with strategic partners (10%)
- Identify and build relationships with development agencies, policy, and research organisations that are critical to the SRHR Fund delivering its objectives and program
- Establish and maintain relationships with key contacts in strategic partner organisations
- Represent the SRHR Fund and Hivos at relevant networks, workshops, seminars and policy events
- Develop ideas and projects for formal collaboration with targeted development agencies, policy, and research organisations
Learning, sustainability and impact (10%)
- Develop materials and processes for specific areas/topics identified as needed for capacity development of partners, including training, mentoring and coaching of partners, peer learning and other methodologies;
- Help to document project-based learnings and best practices;
- Support lesson learning from monitoring and evaluation of the SRHR program portfolio and sharing of best practice and policy insights
Other strategic activities (5%)
- Undertake other activities that enhance the objective of the capacity strengthening portfolio
Key selection criteria
A Master’s degree in development studies, social sciences or any other relevant field
- Demonstrated experience in organizational capacity building for CSOs, including designing and implementing trainings for CSOs, delivering organizational development technical assistance, and/or mentoring CSOs
- At least five years’ experience in project management and supervision
- Five (5) years prior experience conducting quantitative and/or qualitative research in field-based positions
- Exceptional capacity building skills with an ability to use a diversity of methodologies including coaching, mentorship and peer learning
- Experience in facilitating training, mentoring and coaching across the region
- Demonstrated experience in gathering best practices and lessons learned and sharing information with a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience in facilitating training in research methodologies
- Commitment to team-working and a willingness to join in with colleagues to manage the pressures and priorities of the day
- Understanding of project budgeting, financial reporting, donor reporting, audit requirements, and contracting
- Sound coordination, team working, networking, and collaborative skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, with strong writing ability at a donor project reporting level.
- Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Experience working with a diversity of stakeholders across multiple countries
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work with a wide range of individuals.
What we offer
Hivos offers a challenging position in an international environment.
The Regional office is based in Harare, Zimbabwe. This position will be based in Lusaka, Zambia. Hivos welcomes international & regional applicants but can only offer a position to only those with a valid work permit for Zambia. Hivos can only offer employment on local terms and conditions.
Method of Application
Please apply before May 26 2023. If you meet the above-mentioned qualifications (please look carefully), you can apply to this vacancy by filling in a digital application form and adding a cover letter explaining your motivation and your CV.
To apply for this job please visit hivos.bamboohr.com.