BCP is a leading African REDD+ Developer and conservation organization which seeks to sustainably finance wildlife and habitat conservation through the forest carbon markets. BCP’s mission is “making conservation of wildlife habitat valuable to people”. We work with Community and Government partners to help improve the conservation management of over 1 million hectares of globally significant wildlife habitats in Zambia, benefiting over 225,000 people.
BCP is recruiting for a Sector Manager (SM) covering the Lower Zambezi REDD+ Project (LZRP) and the Luangwa Community Forest Project (LCFP) – Lusaka. The Locations will be Chinyunyu. The Sector Manager is responsible for achieving REDD+ project objectives, milestones and outputs for the assigned sector. The Sector manager will report directly to the Provincial Manager and will oversee and direct Chiefdom Leads, Conservation Coordinator, Agriculture Officer, Fleet administrator and Sourcing Officer. The Sector Manager will also collaborate with HR, Communications, Policy Impact Monitoring, Carbon Accounting, ESMS & LRF to achieve BCP’s Site Annual Work Plan milestones and outputs and sector level Top Goals. The SM role takes accountability over coordination of monthly and quarterly planning and coordination meetings with key sector level stakeholders and reporting of Project milestones at sector level to the Project Coordinator. This is a leadership role and a critical one within BCP.
STUFF WE’LL TRUST YOU WITH.
- The management, supervision and development of assigned sector.
- support local communities living within the assigned project areas gain lasting benefits through financial returns realized from REDD+ finance mechanisms.
- Achieve broad participation within the communities in the Site and ensure special attention is given to the inclusion of marginalized and differently abled members and groups in the community.
- Develop and nurture relationships with stakeholders (GRZ, NGOs, Private Sector and Community) at Site level to further the positive impacts of REDD.
- Coordinate the consolidation of sector wide monthly reports and communicate the milestones and impacts.
- Ensure that participation of key stakeholders (GRZ, NGOs, Private Sector and Community) in project delivery; AWP development & implementation follows appropriate participatory approaches such as FPIC.
- Organize and facilitate weekly meetings with Site Operations Management Team to review and document project risk and plan mitigation measures.
- Escalate to PM any significant project risks likely to affect smooth implementation of project activities.
- Coordinate on a daily basis with all stakeholders operating on the same landscape implementing REDD+ or similar conservation initiatives; document lesson learnt that will positively influence the implement of project activities.
- Ensure the site is compliant with BCP policies such as ESMS, LRF, BCorp and implement all recommendations of the periodic audits (VCS, CCB, FA etc) and ensure compliance.
- Identify local socioeconomic activities and incorporate these in interventions that advance REDD+ activities.
- Support with the structuring and strengthening of the local governance and community structures for improved natural resource management.
- Support the delivery of services outsourced to third party organizations.
- Ensure data collected by field teams is appropriately validated and uploaded for effective management and decision making.
HUMAN RESOURCE & PLANNING.
- Provide backstopping support to the field teams lead by the Chiefdom lead.
- Build capacities of partners, CFMGs and project teams based on the results of training needs assessment.
- Provide technical advice/ support to partners and project team.
- Support Human Resource with recruitment of staff in all Site positions as per approved Site Organogram and to ensure succession is built at all levels.
- Develops a site capacity development program and coordinate all capacity development of staff based on a gaps identification process guided by a rigorous performance management program.
- Ensure timely delivery of all site staff performance evaluations to PC.
- Ensure staff are aware of BCP policies and adhere to these for efficient operation.
- Prepare implementation and monitoring plans and deliver results as per approved plans for all the projects.
- Oversee and support CLs facilitate quarterly AWP review meetings with key stakeholders.
- Coordinate monthly planning sessions with Chiefdom Leads, Conservation Coordinator Sourcing Officer, Agriculture Officer and Finance & Administration Officer to ensure improved collaboration between teams in the implementation of REDD+ activities.
- Lead the development of the Sector AWP by setting objectives and targets aligned to BCP and Project’s. Strategic plan and Top Goals as well as the National Goals.
- Participate and coordinate Monthly/Quarterly coordination meetings with Key stakeholders at DDCC level.
- Support PC in development of strategies to mitigate identified project risks.
- Prepare and submit annual procurement and monitoring plans.
ALLIANCE BUILDERS WANTED.
- Qualifications in a related field such a Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Project Management, Community Development or any relevant field.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is an added advantage.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years’ relevant work in the similar sector.
- Experience with MS Office and GIS packages is an added advantage.
- Project Management training requirement.
- Advanced report writing.
- Excellent community facilitation and working knowledge of participatory approaches to development.
- Knowledge of community mobilization and capacity building amongst community institutions.
- Exceptional team building and management skills.
- Understanding that the role will require the candidate to sometimes camp in basic conditions and to be independently mobile, including the use of motor vehicles and motorbikes as means of transportation.
Must display the following traits:
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks, demonstrate excellent time management skills with well-developed organizational skills.
- Demonstrate attention to detail with great verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate professional discretion.
STUFF YOU’LL TELL PEOPLE AT PARTIES.
Helping to conserve over 565 million trees, and with close to 7 million tons of carbon emissions reduced to date, both BCP implemented REDD+ Projects have been verified against the Verified Carbon Standard, the world’s leading voluntary Greenhouse Gas program. In 2021, the LZRP is the only project in Africa to receive 8 consecutive verifications and only the second in the World to achieve this! While it is also Africa’s first CCBA Triple Gold Project, with ‘Gold’ level verification against all three categories of the Climate, Community, and Biodiversity Standard (CCBA) for its exceptional climate change impacts and community and biodiversity benefits. The LCFP has achieved CCBA Triple Gold Validation for exceptional community impact. Awarded Best Individual Offsetting Project and Impact Monitoring Report in the World in the Environmental Finance Voluntary Carbon Markets Ranking 2021, and ranked in the top 0.5% of B Corps globally 2021, BCP offers carbon offsets with World class benefits Under our 30 – Cubed goal, by 2030, BCP is set to deliver on our goal of avoiding 30 million tons of emissions annually, benefitting 3 million people, and partnering with communities across 30 million acres of globally significant wildlife habitat.
WE EVEN DO BENEFITS DIFFERENTLY.
As an equal opportunity employer, a competitive salary will be offered, plus training, plus the potential for performance bonuses, plus health benefits, plus a great work culture, plus career growth, plus working with a diverse and committed team.
Method Of Application
Candidates interested in joining an innovative and high-performance team, and working towards doing amazing things in conservation technology and livelihoods, please send a CV, a cover letter, 3 reference contacts and anything else that makes your application stand out to email@example.com with Sector Manager – Chinyunyu in the subject line. Please also send anything else that will help your application stand out.
Applications are accepted from 3rd April 2023 until the position is filled. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Females are highly encouraged to apply.
If an applicant receives no response within a 30-day period, they should consider their application unsuccessful.