Innovations for Poverty Action, Zambia
POSITION: Senior HR & Admin Assistant (x1)
START DATE: January, 2024
LOCATION: Lusaka, Zambia
DURATION: 1 Year (Renewable)
DEADLINE: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis
ELIGIBILITY: Local Hire Only
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence of which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 900 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
About the position
The Senior Human Resource and Admin Assistant operates under the general supervision of the Country Manager, IPA Zambia and Malawi, and with a dotted line of supervision from the Senior HR Advisor, Africa, and the Operations Manager, IPA Zambia and Malawi. Within the boundaries set by Innovations for Poverty Action’s policies and procedures, this role is responsible for coordinating and facilitating the activities, functions, and processes of the Human Resource and Administration Department. The following is a comprehensive list of the primary duties and responsibilities of the Senior Human Resource and Admin Assistant, to be executed as required and as determined by the Country Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
Recruitment and selection
- Maintain a database of job postings made by IPA within a month for both national and international jobs.
- In consultation with the Country Manager coordinate shortlisting of qualified applicants according to pre-specified criteria provided by hiring managers.
- Schedule and organise interviews.
- Inform unsuccessful applicants officially through email.
Onboarding & Orientation
- Facilitate induction of new staff.
- Support the planning and scheduling of orientation for new hires to discuss IPAZ’s policies.
- Preparing, monitoring and renewing of staff contracts.
- Ensure that all performance plans and appraisal forms are filed in all respective staff files
- Notify relevant managers of approaching the end of contract and follow up with renewals as instructed by managers.
Leave and timesheet management
- Ensure monthly database updates of staff leave/sick day leave balances within stipulated time frame.
- Assist in tracking absenteeism within the projects.
- Ensure that all staff taking leave/vacation have the required approvals from their supervisors.
- Monitor all the Maternity/Paternity leave cases within projects.
- Periodically remind staff within the project through their immediate supervisors to use leave days during the year to avoid carry forward of leave days.
- Work hand in hand with the finance team to ensure that timesheets are timely submitted and assist where need be.
Database & Personnel File Maintenance
- Ensure that the staff database is updated with all relevant information required and inactive staff captured separately.
- Ensure all HR documents are scanned and saved on Box.
- Ensure Staff files are labeled clearly and arranged in accordance to staff numbers.
- Manage logistics for office meetings & project training.
- Manage storage and inventory of office supplies, consumables, projects items, and stationery.
- Monitor and manage utility bill payment in the office, including telephone, internet, electricity, rentals, water, etc.;
- Assist in the disposal of items in the storage room;
- Assist prepare all outgoing mail, faxes, courier parcels, and any other official correspondence;
- Assist in scheduling and coordinating travel bookings, hotel payments, airport pick-up, conferences, department activities for all local staff and international visitors;
Maintenance and repairs;
- Manage all repairs and routine maintenance work in all the premises of IPA in Lusaka, including office and IT equipment, communications, etc.;
- Generator management responsibilities: Liaise with the mechanic on technical issues related to the generators, including preparation of orders for consumables and spare parts;
- Assist with the scheduling, servicing, ordering fuel and oil for the generator
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Diploma in Human Resource Management or equivalent
- Paid up Member of the ZIHRM
- Prior HR & Admin experience preferably with similar organizations.
- Good oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Familiarity with latest Zambian labor laws.
- Computer skills – MS Word, Excel and Microsoft packages.
- A strong team player and committed to diversity, equal opportunity and capacity building.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Method of Application
Please click here to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Senior HR & Admin Assistant, IPA Zambia. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com