First Quantum Minerals
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Job title: Senior Supervisor: Mechanical – Acid Plant
Site: Kansanshi Mining Plc.
Department: Smelter Engineering
Section: Mechanical, Acid Plant
Position reports to: Superintendent Mechanical Acid Plant
Direct reports: Supervisor Mechanical and Scaffolding
To plan the work and guide the supervisors in the day-to-day resource allocation to maximize efficiency and planned maintenance and breakdowns in the Kansanshi Smelter Acid Plant. To implement and follow maintenance procedures, investigate failures, document conclusions and implement preventative measures.
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Maintain the equipment in the acid plant to the required availability and ensure breakdowns are attended to effectively. Monitoring and recording of the acid plant equipment performance and where required schedule and execute refurbishment to restore them to their required operating integrity to meet the operational standards.
- Manage all resources to ensure strict adherence to sound management principles for the effective and efficient execution of maintenance activities and breakdowns to achieve maximum plant availability at the lowest practically achievable cost.
- Continuously monitor safety performance and manage the department resources for strict adherence to the relevant safety standards and specifications and execute appropriate actions for non-compliance.
- Develop shutdown planning schedules, resource requirement and execution of the shutdown plans within the agreed parameters.
- Through effective leadership/mentorship cultivate, nurture and foster an enabling and continuous improvement climate/culture.
- Manage the departmental costs to achieve the maximum business benefit.
- Manage the human resources in a manner that will ensure that the business objectives are met with minimum labor turnover.
- Ensure that good work ethics is sustained by effectively managing discipline with reference to absenteeism, lateness, overtime, misconduct, etc. within the department.
- Assist the Acid Plant Mechanical Superintendent with the design and implementation of systems and controls to ensure the plant is maintained to accepted engineering standards.
- Manage and control warehouse resources and regularly update requirements.
- Identify and implement training and development opportunities for all direct reports on an ongoing basis, with a particular focus on developing the employees.
- Quarterly review the career performance with identified talent and implement the actions and monitors agreed to with the subordinates and couch and council people on an ongoing basis to ensure improved performance levels.
- Graduated in mechanical engineering and registered with EIZ and ERB.
- Must have minimum 5 years’ experience in:
- Leading a team of workmen/artisans
- Having worked in a smelting environment
- Background of maintenance related practices
- Experience with the following equipment will be an advantage:
- Sulphuric acid plant equipment
- Pumps and weak acid pumping systems
- Electric welding techniques
- Sulphuric acid protection linings
- Bold initiative
- Thinking safely
- Upholding quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving quantity
- Driving attendance
- Standby work required
- Overtime when necessary
- Exposure to dust, heat, noise and chemicals
- PC Literacy