Pact seeks an experienced Senior Technical Advisor-Transition and Sustainability for the five-year (2023-2028) USAID Zambia Integrated Health Activity. USAID Zambia Integrated Health aims to improve health outcomes of Zambians through equitable access to high-quality, client-centered HIV; TB/HIV; maternal, newborn, and child health (MNCH); and family planning/reproductive health (FP/RH) services, products, and information to reduce mortality, morbidity, and HIV transmission for populations in focus districts in Central, Copperbelt, and North-Western provinces. Led by Pact, USAID Zambia Integrated Health is implemented partners, CIDRZ; COH, CRZ, m2m, Viamo, and ZNYP+.
The Senior Technical Advisor-Transition and Sustainability will provide technical leadership for USAID Zambia Integrated Health’s third component area: Increasing capacities of the Provincial and District Health Offices (PHOs/DHOs) to gradually transition direct service delivery of quality integrated health services and sustain services beyond Activity implementation.
- Provide technical leadership, guidance, and support in building the capacity of the Government of Zambia (GRZ) and community-based structures to lead and manage local health systems that provide quality, integrated health services to vulnerable populations.
- Provide technical expertise on health systems strengthening, including but not limited to: service delivery integration and quality; policy formulation and dissemination; human resources for health; supply chain management; monitoring, planning and coordination; and/or health systems resilience to public health threats.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for GRZ partners, including the Ministry of Health (MOH), for coordination and provision of technical assistance on systems strengthening with a view to achieving transition and sustainability of services.
- Lead the development and implementation of a site-by-site transition plan to shift project support from direct service delivery to technical assistance in focus districts and provinces, based on agreed upon criteria and milestones.
- Provide targeted capacity building to PHOs/DHOs in translating national policies into action and implementing health systems strengthening initiatives that strengthen coordination and effective integration of HIV, TB, MNCH and FP services.
- Provide input into transition and sustainability components of project workplans, reports, and budget, and participate in project level processes to ensure integration with other project components.
- Monitor the implementation of systems strengthening, transition, and sustainability activities, ensuring that objectives, targets, and deliverables are achieved on time and on budget, including the overall objective of transitioning direct service delivery of quality integrated health services in 20% of health facilities.
- Liaise with USAID and key stakeholders, including MOH, civil society, private sector, and other USAID projects, on transition and sustainability issues relevant to the project.
- Participate in technical working groups addressing health systems strengthening, transition, and sustainability issues linked to the project.
- Supervise a team of provincial Transition and Sustainability Officers and/or other staff involved in transition and sustainability activities.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with government and civil society stakeholders.
- Demonstrated skills in problem solving and consensus building.
- Strong professional written and oral communications skills in English.
- Ability to travel within Zambia and occasionally internationally, when required.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited university in public health or a relevant field.
- At least eight years of experience in a senior leadership role in the health sector in implementing programs and interventions that support health systems strengthening, transition, and sustainability.
- Demonstrated competencies in designing and implementing health systems strengthening activities for provision of HIV, TB, MCNH, and/or FP services in large-scale, complex, international development assistance programs, preferably with USAID and PEPFAR-funded programs.
- In-depth understanding and knowledge of Zambia’s healthcare and public health systems across all government levels.
- Experience in Africa, preferably Zambian.
- Experience leading technical teams, achieving deliverables, and working under USAID contracts preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex environments, and work with and between different stakeholders.
- Clinical qualification (medical doctor, clinical officer, nurse, midwife, or other cadres).
- Knowledge of the political, social, and economic context of Zambia.
- Zambian nationality preferred.
To apply for this job please visit careers-pactworld.icims.com.